feature img

The 80/20 rule: How to follow it and achieve more

Obbaatt AngadiaFeb 20, 2023

Ready to take control of your life and reach your goals faster? The 80/20 Rule is the perfect tool for you! With simple, actionable steps, this article will show you how to focus on the 20% of activities that lead to 80% of the results.

Learn how to prioritize, plan efficiently and increase productivity - all while having more time and energy for the things that matter.

Read on!

What is the 80/20 rule?

The 80/20 rule is a marketing tenet that claims that 20% of efforts produce 80% of the results.

People shaking their hands in close deal business contractYou can practically always use the 80/20 rule in your business. For instance, in a business that involves selling products, the 80/20 rule applies, indicating that 80% of the sales are generated by just 20% of the inventory. 20% of your clients make up 80% of your revenue if you run a service-based company.

How to follow the 80/20 rule

If you want to succeed more in life, you must comprehend the 80/20 rule. Simply put, according to this concept, only 20% of your acts will yield 80% of your results. 

This idea may be applied to anything in life, including losing weight. For instance, dieting and calorie tracking may account for 80% of your results even when eating well and exercising may only contribute 20%.

The 80/20 rule also applies to your professional life. Let's say your goal is to launch a profitable business. Then you should concentrate on performing 80% of the work and leaving 20% for conversation. 80% of your success as an entrepreneur will come from networking, forming relationships, and aggressive marketing.

Advantages of the 80/20 rule

  • Efficiency gain

You can improve your efficiency and save time by concentrating on the 20% of actions that provide 80% of the results.

  • Improved decision-making

The 80/20 rule forces you to concentrate on what is really important, which can help you make better judgments.

  • Improved effectiveness

You can improve the efficacy of your work by concentrating your efforts on the most important areas.

  • Decreased stress

You can prevent feeling overloaded and lower your level of stress by prioritizing and concentrating on crucial tasks.

How to stay focused when following the 80/20 rule

Identify the most important 20%: Determine which tasks are the most important and will yield the most significant results.

Business growthFocus your time and energy on completing those tasks first.

  • Create a plan

Break down your project or goals into smaller, more manageable tasks. Create a plan or schedule for when and how you will complete each task, and stick to it.

  • Eliminate distractions

Minimize distractions that can pull you away from your work, such as social media notifications or email alerts. Create a quiet workspace where you can focus on your tasks.

Set priorities and concentrate on finishing the most crucial activities first. Set your tasks in order of importance and concentrate on the ones that will have the most influence on your goals.

How to adjust the 80/20 rule for different types of projects

  1. Determine what percentage of those objectives need to be met in order to reach your goal. 

  2. Decide how much of each objective you are willing to give up in order to meet those objectives

  3. Choose your projects based on how much of each objective you can achieve

  4. Measure your success and adjust your projects as needed

How to use the 80/20 rule in business

  • Identify your key business objectives

Start by identifying the primary objectives of your business. This could be increasing sales, improving customer satisfaction, or reducing costs.

  • Prioritize your activities

Once you've identified the critical 20% of activities, prioritize them over the other 80%. 

  • Optimize your processes

Look for ways to optimize critical activities by streamlining processes, improving efficiency, and eliminating waste. 

  • Continuously monitor and refine

Keep track of your progress and adjust your approach as needed.

The essential guide to the 80/20 rule

One of the most crucial life principles is the 80/20 rule. To accomplish more in business, it might be employed. According to the rule, 20% of the effort yields 80% of the results. In business, this is incredibly true. You must concentrate on the 20% of your labor that generates the majority of the results if you want to do more.

Business successIdentify the important tasks: Start by analyzing your activities and identifying the 20% of actions that generate 80% of your results. These are your "vital few" tasks that you should prioritize over the "trivial many" that consume your time and energy without producing significant outcomes.

Focus on what is important: Once you've identified your vital few tasks, prioritize them over other activities. Devote your time and resources to these tasks to achieve the maximum impact.

How to use the 80/20 rule for maximum results

The 80/20 rule, a well-known business tenet, claims that 20% of your efforts will provide 80% of your results. It's a straightforward but effective concept that can help you expand your business.

To put it into effect, consider your company's most profitable endeavors. These are the pursuits that have brought you the greatest success. Now consider how much time and effort you invested in these activities. How did you ensure their success?


We sincerely hope you liked reading about the 80/20 Rule. You may be familiar with the 80/20 Rule, which asserts that 20% of our efforts provide 80% of the results. We frequently use this principle to help us focus our efforts and accomplish more.

We described the actions you must take to implement the 80/20 Rule in your life and accomplish your objectives. We genuinely hope that this article was helpful to you. Thanks for reading